Explosives Detection Dog Handler Course
This course is designed to contribute towards the skills, knowledge and understanding to effectively deploy an explosives detection dog in the operational environment. The course is mapped to the Highfield Awarding Body for Compliance (HABC) and conforms to Association of Chief Police Officers (ACPO) minimum operational standards.
Who Should Attend / Entry Requirements
Personnel who have a responsibility to search vehicles, buildings and / or areas for the presence of explosives substances and would like to achieve a formal training qualification. All personnel shall hold an appropriate SIA licence and should be screened to the requirements of BS 7858 Code of Practice for Security Screening of Personnel Employed in a Security Environment.
A four week course, during which delegates will cover all aspects of the learning outcomes, through coaching, training and by self directed distance learning enabling students to demonstrate:
- Safe system of search
- Control of the dog on and off leash at all times
- Working in a team as a support role
- Safe handling of explosives training aids
- Safe and practical application of procedures following a find
- Management and awareness of occupational stress
- How to safely deploy the dog to search and indicate the presence of explosives for which it has been trained to detect, in vehicles, buildings and areas
- How to deploy the dog in manner that it ignores all reasonable distractions caused by noise, movement and non-target odour sources not physically interfering with the dog
Candidates will be required to complete theory and practical assignments covering all areas of the learning outcomes.
Price on request: includes, tea/coffee breaks, manuals and certification.